Puberty is a tough time for young boys. Hormones tend to go wild and all sorts of changes occur. Unfortunately, not all these changes are pleasant.
Enter teen acne. The biggest self-esteem killer for all teenagers. There is something about this detestable condition that can create so much unhappiness in a person already struggling with their changing body.
Here are some skincare tips for teenager boys:
- Try and stick with low sugar and no junk food eating plan even when mum and dad aren’t watching (ie: don’t get caught up in movie mania with mates and order soft drinks and lollies)
- Daily showers make sense (not just for the skin but for the sake of the bedroom smells!)
- Be aware that when you are active its best to wash off dirt and grime after all the action and not let it sit on the skin.
- Reality is that you can’t control the hormones and let’s not get too caught up eliminating all pimples as it’s not likely to happen. Sometimes we just need to accept (of course severe acne-causing low self-confidence would require a more focussed approach)
- A regular (but simple) skin cleaning and moisturizing routine will help. Really it will.
1. Be Gentle While Cleansing
When cleansing the face, it is important that you don’t completely strip your skin. Don’t scrub your skin aggressively. Oily skinned teenage boys should opt for foam or gel cleansers, such as Native Man Wash + Shave.
When the skin loses moisture, it becomes dull and flaky. A moisturizer helps replenish lost moisture in the surface of your skin. Choose a moisturizer that suits your skin type such as an oil-free moisturizer for oily skin and a fragrance-free moisturizer for sensitive skin, such as Native Man Moisturiser + Aftershave.
3. Use Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
Dandruff can exacerbate acne. Use anti-dandruff shampoo to treat dandruff. For best results, lather the shampoo twice, and wait for 5 minutes after lathering the 2nd time, then rinse it off.
Always try to keep your hair off your face.
4. Protect Your Skin
UVA and UVB rays from the sun cause premature aging, sunburns, and skin cancer. It may cause your acne scars to darken. Protect your skin using an oil-free sunscreen with an SPF of 30 and PA rating of +++.
Avoid the sun from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. when the sun’s rays are strongest. Wear long-sleeved shirts, full pants, and wide-brimmed hats as protection.
Don’t use tanning beds to conceal acne or scars. These are very damaging to skin. Spray tans are a much better alternative.
5. Don’t Use Toothpaste As Spot Treatment
Using toothpaste as an overnight pimple fix could do you more harm than good. The ingredients in toothpaste will cause your face to sting or even worse if you are allergic to any ingredients.